At last week’s Entrepreneurship 101 lecture on raising money, leading venture capitalists divulged the secrets of successfully pitching to an investor. The secret is in the relationship.
The panel discussion, led by Barry Gekiere, Managing Director of the Investment Accelerator Fund (IAF), featured high profile folks from the VC industry:
- Bryan Kerdman, Managing Partner, Bryker Capital Corp.
- Duncan Hill, General Partner, Mantella Venture Partners; Founding Partner, Basecamp Labs
- Josh Sookman, CEO, Guardly
And what advice did these top investors have?
When preparing to approach an investor, speak to advisors and other entrepreneurs who have worked with them to find out as much as you can. Still don’t know where to look for an investor? Read: How to identify an investor for your business.
It takes five minutes for an investor to decide if they are interested in you. Once you have chosen someone to approach with your pitch, make sure you have the right tools. (What tools, you ask? Read: Tools you need to raise money.)
Watch the rest of the lecture video on “Raising Money” to learn more from this Q&A session and hear it first-hand from leading venture capitalists.
Downloads and Resources:
- Video: Raising Money
- Entrepreneur’s Toolkit: What is the valuation?
- Entrepreneur’s Toolkit: How investors determine the valuation of your business
- Entrepreneur’s Toolkit: The hidden elements in a valuation
- Join the Entrepreneurship 101 Facebook group
Reposted from MaRS
Marielle works as part of the education team at MaRS. She helps entrepreneurs get access to business resources both online and in-person.
The RIC blog is designed as a showcase for entrepreneurs and innovation. Our guest bloggers provide a wealth of information based on their personal experiences. Visit RIC Centre for more information on how RIC can accelerate your ideas to market.